Planning on proposing, but keeping it secret can be tricky when you need to find out your partner’s ring size. Here are some ideas to help:
- The direct route. Depending on your acting skills, you can ask your significant other directly by suggesting you’d like to buy a gift for someone else. Try saying you would like to buy a ring for your mom/sister/etc. and you need ideas on sizes. Make sure you use someone whose hands are similar in size to your girlfriend. If you really want to play this one out, buy the “gift” ring. You can have her try it on to make sure it fits, and then you can actually give it to someone else, and your partner will be none the wiser.
- Ask a friend. Sometimes, friends will have this knowledge on hand. Maybe they’ve shared jewelry sometime in their lives. A fun way to enlist a friend’s help would be to have them take your girlfriend engagement ring shopping for fun. Maybe the friend is in a relationship and is dreaming of the proposal? Your girlfriend will try on rings, be professionally sized, and the friend can report back to you.
- Borrow one of her rings. You can always borrow a ring she already owns and size according to that. Just make sure you choose a ring that fits on a finger similar in size to her ring finger!
- Draw it out. If you can’t borrow a ring without her knowing, you can always trace the ring size. Grab a piece of paper and trace around the inside and outside of the ring. Do this several times as to get the closest accuracy of the size. A jeweler can use this drawing to determine the size.
- Compare her finger to yours. This one is a little more difficult, but if you’re in a pinch and can’t use one of the other methods, try comparing her ring finger to one of yours. Maybe her ring finger is similar in size as your pinky finger.
- Buy a temporary setting. You can always get the best estimate of her size, and have a temporary setting for the proposal. This also works great if you want her input on the setting she will be wearing for the rest of her life.
Once you’ve got the ring, it’s time to plan your proposal. Need help with planning the perfect moment? Give us a call, we’re here to help!